Tuesday 4 February 2014

My untold stories-Nollywood actress, Blessing Patrick


By JAMES EMMANUEL
jemedia7@gmail.com

Blessing Patrick
  In the league of fast-rising actresses in Nollywood, Blessing Patrick stands tall!  She proved herself to the world as an actress to reckon with in her first movie entitled Daughters of Eve. Predictably, her amazing performance has continued to earn her numerous lead roles. In fact, within three years in the highly competitive industry, the Cross River-born act has dazzled in more than 20 movies, including Aso Ebi Girls, Vampire, Midwives, King’s Bed, Tears of a Holy Heart, Enter the Place, Masquerade Dancer, among many others.
 
Expectedly, the sexy and fashionable actress recently grabbed three awards: Best New Actress, City People Entertainment Awards 2013, Best New Actress, Nigeria Media Nite Out Award 2013, and Gbedu Recognition Award- all within the past one year.
   In this encounter with Jemedia Reports, the graduate of Sociology and Anthropology from Enugu State University of Science and Technology shares the story of her life; she speaks on her prodigious talents, her dreams, pains, and her shape which she describes as ‘killer shape,’ among other interesting issues.

How did you feel when your name was announced as the Best New Actress, City People Entertainment Awards 2013?
I felt so blessed. I felt as one who has God by her side. The truth is that God is really by my side, watching and supporting me. I wasn’t that surprised when my name was announced as the winner for that category because when I was nominated for the award, I went into serious prayer and fasting and God answered my prayer. The truth is that my journey in Nollywood has remained the way God planned it. I pray; I work. In all, I always tell God to let his will be done. So the award was part of God’s will for my life.

Briefly share with us how your acting career started
I got into Nollywood after my secondary school education, through my family friend who knew a lot of actors and actresses. She wanted to become an actress but she wasn’t that opportune. I normally go with her to auditions and I was always given the opportunity to act but my parents wouldn’t allow me because I still had to continue with my education. But the good thing was that I met so many people in the industry then. But professionally, it all started in 2011 through a producer I met during those days. He actually brought me back to the industry through the movie entitled Daughters of Eve, which also featured Mercy Johnson, Majid Michael, among other popular faces. Again, when I was a little girl, I loved to watch movies a lot. Instead of going out with my family, I will lock myself in the room and watch movies. I think that was a sign that I was going to become an actress.
Blessing Patrick
Since you embraced the industry, about how many movies have you featured in?
I’ve featured in a good number of movies. I think I have done over 20 movies. Some of the movies include Daughters of Eve, Aso Ebi Girls, Vampire, Midwives, King’s bed, Tears of a Holy Heart, Enter the place, Masquerade Dancer, among others. I must tell you it’s been wonderful over the years.
So how was your first time onset like? Were you nervous?
It wasn’t really difficult because it is something I have always had passion for and like I said I actually had acquaintance with most of them. I was already used to the way they do their thing so it was easy but like it is always said, there is always a first time to everything so that little nervousness was there. After all, I’m not a super human.
There are already so many extablished names in Nollywood; don’t you feel intimidated by their achievements?
I don’t feel intimidated in anyway. I respect them. When I see them, I respect them and I admire their works because acting is not easy. The only time you get intimidated is when you don’t appreciate their work or you don’t appreciate acting. But when you appreciate acting, you will know that it is not easy to get to where they are. When you give them their respect, they will love you and respect you too; so respect becomes reciprocal. But when you get into the industry and start feeling like you have arrived, that is when you will get intimidated. I don’t feel intimidated at all.  
And what do you consider as your unique selling point?
The truth is that I don’t think my unique selling point is what people can see. I think it is beyond the physical; it is really inside of me. So, one thing I always say is that the God in me is my unique selling point. I believe there are so many good things about me. Apart from my ability to interpret scripts well, I believe I also have other things needed to excel as an actress. Lots people say I have good shape (laughs). Again, my versatility in the job, I believe, makes me tick. I can fit into every role because that is what makes me an actress, provided it is not a nude role. I am hard-working and passionate about what I do.
You look sp pretty? Isn’t this also a selling point?
Which part of your body is your biggest asset?
(Laughs) I have a nice shape. I have a sweet shape, at least that’s what my friends and viewers say. But for me, I believe my greatest asset is not in what they see but the grace from God abiding in me. Christ in me is the greatest asset I have. But physique wise, I think I got it! People say I have killer shape!
Any challenging role yet?
I’m still looking forward to taking up that challenging role. Yes, I have done quite a number of good movies but I don’t think I have done any movie that has challenged me yet. I want to prove to the world what I have inside of me.
Apart from looking forward for more challenging roles, what else are your unrealized dreams?
The truth is that I dream of becoming one of the best actresses in the world! That sounds huge, I know, but I’m seriously in this business to get to the pinnacle of my career and reach new heights. So yea, my dream is to be the best actress. And I hope to use that position to represent Christ. I am crazy about Christ and someday, I know that through him, I will impact a lot of lives and inspire as much people as possible.
Are there people you look up to in the industry? You have role models?
My first and foremost role model is definitely God Almighty.  After him, another person I have looked up to for inspiration is my wonderful mother. While she was alive, she was without doubt a shining example for me and my two other siblings and I owe her for molding me into the woman I have turned out to be. Career wise, I’d say the likes of Rita Dominic and Genevieve Nnaji are my role models. And it isn’t hard to figure out why. Their determination, artistry and hunger for success are qualities I hope to emulate in my journey to superstardom. There are lots of people doing well in the industry, so basically, I look up to then at times and pick one or two things from them.
What is your philosophy of life like?
I’ve been raised with the philosophy that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. And as much as I can, I strive to create an impact in the lives of others through Christ. Also, do unto others the way you expect them to do unto you.
 You are sounding like a Christian; do you see yourself as a born again Christian?
I have a very good personal relationship with God. I have been a born again right from childhood. I was even in a missionary school. Covent, that is to show you how desirous of God I’m. I have always wanted to serve God with all my life. I left the Covent maybe because I felt I could still serve God through any other profession I finally embraced-and that is acting.    
So far, what have been your challenges in the industry?
Nollywood is not an easy place to be, considering the fact that the industry is a place that might want to change you from who you are. On the other hand, there are challenges in every sector. It’s just normal.
Have you risen to the stage of turning down scripts?
I’ve always told myself that I would always do only good movies. Any movie that is not worth my time I won’t do it. I have a fee! The issue is that the industry has turned to a place where lots of people would want to play with your intelligent. On the other hand, if you have a good script that can impact on the public but you don’t have much to offer me…I can take it up; depending on the relationship and understanding I have with you.
Talking about your fee; how is it like?
You don’t have a job for me yet so why should I tell you my fee (laughs).
What has life taught you over the years?
Life has taught me that patience is a virtue and can take you up there.
How do you respond to producers and directors that demands s** from you before giving you role?
I have never encountered that!
Really?
Yes, I have never had such experience. On the other hand, it’s everywhere. Once a man and a woman are together, anything can happen. It all depends on how you choose to carry yourself.
What have been your pains in life?  
Sometimes I wish I could forget the fact that I lost my mum. Sometimes it comes to my mind and I ask God why? I just wish I can forget that singular incident.
How does it feel like being so pretty, sexy, intelligent, and successful in your chosen career?
I feel so happy; I feel so blessed. I keep thanking God for giving me the name, Blessing.
About how many men indicate interest or woo you every day?
(Laughs) Is that what I should be counting? Can you imagine? You are already ‘toasting’ me! (Laughs) The truth is that men most always make advances. If they don’t I think I should check and recheck myself. It’s just normal and that is where self discipline comes in. I hardly go out, but when I do, I always have lots of ‘toasters’.
Blessing Patrick
How soon are you walking down the aisle?
Do you want to marry me? (Laughs). I am not God; I believe God’s time is the best!
What is your ideal man like?
I want a man who has that potential to teach me; tolerant and God fearing, because I’m a very stubborn girl. I could be very difficult at times. And my man have to look good (laughs) except God choose otherwise for me.
Have you ben heartbroken before?
I’ve broken up a relationship in the past but I don’t call it heartbreak. I just believe it was meant to be that way.
Tell us more about your background
My mum is from Edo state while my dad is from Cross River state; so I’m from Cross River State. I have a catholic background.  I’m a graduate of Sociology and Anthropology from Enugu State University of Science and Technology.
What should we be expecting from you soon?  
Nigerians should expect more and more movies from me; good movies. Apart from that, I am actually working on producing my own movie. It is a story crafted from my heart. It is comic, glamorous and emotional. I also have intention of having my own clothing line.

No comments:

Post a Comment