Monday 13 January 2014

Secrets of my 16-year-old marriage-Nollywood’s tallest actor, Nath Ruskin Georgewill




By JAMES EMMANUEL

If you think Hank Anuku is the tallest actor in Nollywood, wait until you come across Nath Ruskin Georgewill, the congenial Nollywood actor whose height is not only intimidating but also causes ripples, especially in the Nigerian movie industry.
In this hearty chat with Entertainment Express, the Rivers State-born brawny actor who is currently the Director of Guild Services in the Lagos State chapter of Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) shared the story of his life, especially the secrets of his 16-year-old marriage.    
Briefly give us an insight about yourself
My full name is Nathaniel Ruskin Georgewill and I’m from the Ijaw tribe of Rivers State. I was born about 43-years ago and expectedly I’m married with kids. I’m an actor, a model and also a business man.  I’ve also been involved in Apape Local Government politics, where I rose to a top position. At the moment, I’m the elected Director of Guild Services of the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN), Lagos State chapter.  I’m six feet six inches tall; a very friendly, nice and wonderful person. Lots of people say I’m the tallest actor in Nollywood; even at that, I don’t intimidate people with my height.
What are the advantages of being the tallest actor in Nollywood?
It enhances my profile among other actors. It also enables me to fit into different and diverse roles. For instance, I can fit into so many roles; I can play the role of a doctor, minister, politician, and so on, but on the other hand I cannot fit into roles meant for shorter people.
Tell us more about your acting career
I actually started as a model in the late 1990.  During my modeling career, I did lots of great jobs. From there I switched over to acting in 2003; at a point I left acting and later came back fully in 2005. Since then, I have featured in over 80 movies, including My Darling Princess, Weeping Tiger, Total Control, Crying Angel, and so many others. I have also written some movie scripts.
What do you think earned you your first movie role?

I think they needed somebody with good height looks. Apart from that, my charisma and ability to to interpret roles did the magic.
You started off as a model before switching over to acting; does that mean you stumbled into acting?
No. My decision to join the Nigerian movie industry was a deliberate one which was orchestrated by the enormous love and passion I have for the motion picture industry.
So how has been the reward financially?
Talking about financial reward, I make more as a businessman. I have my own company. My office is located at Apapa, Lagos. We are into sanitation- cleaning of homes, mortuary, etc. I’m also into car business; I bring in cars from abroad and sell here in Nigeria. The truth is that the movie industry is not all that rewarding, it is the passion that keeps us going. For instance, as the DGS, I’m rendering free service. Even the money we generate is used in running the guild. We are starting afresh to rebuild and make Lagos State AGN the best in Nigeria.
Have you thought of going into production as most of your colleagues do?
I will go into production maybe from two or three years time. For now, I want to concentrate and give my best to the guild.
Is your position as DGS not an impediment to your career?
If you want a very vibrate organization, individuals must make sacrifices. So I just see what I’m doing as one of those sacrifices.
What kind of movie would you whenever you veer into production?
If I should produce my own movie, I will lay emphasis on the spiritual nature of man, the very purpose of our existence. There are only few movies emphasizing on this. The truth is that there is so much decadence in our society. People have lost their consciousness on why they are on earth. I would want people to rediscover their purpose on earth. This is the kind of movie I want to do.
You are sounding like a very religious man
I’m not a very religious man, but I’m spiritually inclined. I have virtually gone through all the spiritual books. I’m a very versatile person when it comes to spirituality. But in all, I have always believed in Jesus Christ. There is every reason to believe in Him and I have always been his follower since I became a man, since I became aware of my spirit being. Today it is very easy for men to die like chickens because our spiritual lives are nothing to write home about. We are all sinners by nature; despite that, we shouldn’t disconnect ourselves from God.
Are you married?
I’ve been married for 16-years. My son is in Kings College. The truth is that I’ve been with my wife for about 26 years.  We met when I was just 17 years; we courted for 10 years before getting married about for 16 years ago.
In an era of incessant marriage break ups, what has sustained your union?
The issue is that I have already made up my mind to remain with her ‘till death do us apart.” Two things- tolerance and accepting who we are, including our weaknesses and strengths-are among the things that sustain marriages. I don’t look at her negative side. I focus on her positive sides while she also focuses on my positive sides. We hardly quarrel.
You’ve not had cause to ask her out of the house?
In my place we don’t do that. We don’t chase our women out. We don’t even beat our women.
As an actor, how does she cope seeing you with other women?
I may not know. But one thing I know is that she is a very jealous woman and she tolerates me a lot. She has always been my best friend. She is like my sister, friend, colleague and adviser. She is my most trusted friend.
As a handsomely tall actor, how do you cope with advances from women
Coping with women to me is not that difficult. Women started coming into my life when I was very young. I’m from a very affluent family, and as we know affluence attracts lots of men and women into your life. Some come for good and some for bad. So I’m used to women. I take them as friends. Women are very wonderful set of people. If you can juxtapose their good and bad side, you will be able to manage them well.
You met your wife while you were young, is she the first woman in your life?
No. But you know those days you can date without having sex. She was a virgin when I met her
Did she also meet you a virgin?
(Laughs) The truth is that I was not.
What is your take on the present state of Nollywood?
In the next ten years, Nollywood will be bigger than the government or any political party. The future is very bright for the industry. Some persons keep saying the industry will crash, but the truth is that Nollywood would have crashed five years ago. Since it didn’t crash, it won’t again. What cannot destroy you makes you stronger. Nigerians should look out for better, bigger and innovative Nollywood movies.
What has life taught you over the years?
Life has taught me that happiness comes from within. You cannot derive happiness from wealth. And what creates happiness is contentment. You must be at peace with those that have offended you. You can never be happy when you don’t forgive. I am contented with everything I have and that is why I am a happy man.  
Tell us more about your educational background
I grew up in Rivers State and attended Universal Primary Education in Abonnema, and Nymani Grammar School Abonnema. From there I proceeded to Oduduwa University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, where I majored in International Marketing. I’m also a diploma holder in Travels and Tours, and in Information Technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment